I usually don’t buy my essential oils from multilevel marketing companies. However, Young Living Sacred Frankincense is the exception.
This particular brand is made from the highest grade of a particular frankincense species, which grows in Oman. It’s been shown to kill cancer cells in the laboratory. The same results were not seen with other labels, according to Dr. HK Lin, PhD, of the University of Oklahoma, who was interviewed in another online publication. By the way, Dr. Lin makes it clear he has no financial interest in this company. After trying, and failing, to obtain these result with other brands, he now uses only Young Living frankincense.
There are various types of frankincense. This resin also comes in different grades. From what I’ve come to understand about frankincense, it takes meticulous attention to detail, in order to process it correctly.
What’s a Good Brand of Frankincense Essential Oil?
(This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase anything I receive a commission at no cost to you.)
So, if I were purchasing frankincense oil to support my body while I was sick, I’d definitely buy it from Young Living. For instance, one of my cousins was battling terminal breast cancer. I got her a bottle of Young Living Sacred Frankincense. However, she didn’t use it. Her oncologist strongly discouraged any form of alternative medicine, yet still offered her nothing more in the way of conventional treatment. My cousin was simply told to “enjoy” her remaining time. But, at least we know we did get her a brand that’s been researched, and shown to be effective against cancer cells, at least in the lab. Practically speaking, it made no difference. But at least I knew the bottle I was buying had some science behind it.
I don’t know if the frankincense would have helped my cousin, even if she had used it. Her cancer was very advanced and aggressive. Right now, we know its action in the lab. To the best of my knowledge, in the United States, this resin is not being used in clinical trials.
Please understand that I’m not in any way claiming that frankincense can cure cancer, or should be used as a stand-alone cancer treatment. All I’m doing is sharing information that it’s been shown to kill malignancies outside the body.
Good Brand Frankincense Essential Oil
I write a lot about essential oils. That’s because I use them every day. I never hesitate to tell people they can find good oils outside of the MLM channels. (Of course, they can also find good oils sold through MLM networks.)
Essential oils have been used for centuries to treat everything from anxiety to arthritis. They are excellent germ killers and immune boosters. I used a special blend of five oils, associated with a recipe supposedly based upon a legend of medieval thieves, to fight infections last winter. These dishonest men were able to rob victims of the Black Death, without getting sick themselves.
So, if I started to feel a cold coming on, I put diluted “Four Thieves” oil on the inside of my wrists. (Later, the name of this product was changed to Protect.) For this, I used the Protect blend sold by Fabulous Frannie. I also own oils made by Plant Therapy, Aura Cacia and others.
Where to Buy Frankincense
But, as I’ve done before, I would certain purchase Young Living Sacred Frankincense again. I know it’s made from the highest grade of Omani frankincense. Frankincense is widely used in Oman. It’s burned in homes and it’s added to beverages. (However, most aromatherapists warn against ingesting essential oils unless you’re working with a qualified professional.)
Young Living Sacred Frankincense Oil
Frankincense has a wide range of other uses, in addition its cancer-killing potential. If you’re starting or adding to your aromatherapy collection, this is one oil you may want to consider owning. It blends well with nearly every other oil, and seems to have a wide range of potential benefits for your body and mind. Here are a few reasons aromatherapists may recommend frankincense:
- The oil made from the resin of the Boswellia tree, where frankincense is produced, appears to have mood lifting properties. It’s a warm earthy aroma that smells a lot like camphor, only much better. It can produce feelings of peace and calm. It seems to balance and even out your emotions. When I had two teenagers in the house, I’d often heat dried resin on the stove, if the atmosphere in our home got tense. This was a tip I learned from another Mom with an interest in natural health.
- This aromatic has germ-killing compounds. So you can put it diluted on a closed wound to help prevent infection. It can also help stimulate your immune system to attack and destroy pathogens. One Iraqi study found that frankincense killed several strains of bacteria in the lab.
- Frankincense has been used for thousands of years as a general health tonic. It’s believed to be good for your vital organs.
- As a digestive aid. If you have an upset stomach, you can massage frankincense directly onto your abdomen, as long as it’s put in a carrier oil, such as olive or jojoba oil. Add one or two drops of frankincense to one teaspoon of the bland carrier.
- Frankincense is very good for your skin. It gives it a healthy, even glow. Mixed with a carrier, it makes a great wrinkle fighter. This is one of the essential oils I use to moisturize my skin. It works much better than chemical-based products.
- Fighting a cold. One time I had a stuffy nose. I rubbed a diluted frankincense (mixed with jojoba) over my sinuses. It seemed to help me breathe easier.
When I’m using frankincense for one of the reasons cited above, I turn to non-MLM products.
One of my very favorite aromatherapy companies is Plant Therapy. Its products are gaining a reputation as a good alternative to the MLM oils.
This is one of the brands I often recommend on this site, because I use it myself and plan to buy it again. I’ve always been satisfied with the quality of Plant Therapy, a small company based in Idaho. It’s family run, but now has a national presence because of its 100 percent pure oils. Part of its mission is to make good essential oils easy for everyone to own. Below is a bottle of Plant Therapy frankincense serrata essential oil, which I’ve also purchased as well. I use it on my face as a natural wrinkle fighter.
Plant Therapy Frankincense Oil
These statements have not been approved by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. People with health concerns should discuss them with a doctor. Women who are pregnant or nursing should not use essential oils, unless under the direction of a health care professional.
I’m not a healthcare professional, so all of the above statements are my personal opinion, and are not intended as medical advice. I assume no responsibility for treatment decisions or outcomes.
For Additional Reading
Galbanum Essential Oil Benefits