Because we were frequent flyers, visiting his office often for another round of antibiotics.
Then I discovered homeopathy.
No longer did I need to pump my children full of pharmaceuticals each time they had an ear infection.
In fact, from that point on, we avoided antibiotics.
Because their otitis media responded so well to well-selected homeopathic remedies.
Homeopathy also improved their overall health.
So they weren’t as susceptible to germs.
Choosing the right remedy, though, can be tricky.
Because there are thousands of remedies in the homeopathic Materia Medica.
Fortunately, only a handful are typically used for ear infections.
But you still have to choose the one that’s best for your child, and dose appropriately.
If your first two remedy choices don’t work, reach out to a homeopath for help.
Best Homeopathic Remedies For Ear Infections
Three of the most common remedies for childhood ear infections are Chamomilla, Pulsatilla and Belladonna.
I’ll explain more about each of these remedies.
Plus a couple of others you’ll want to have on hand.
A 36-remedy family kit is the most economical way to own most of the remedies you’ll need to treat any ear infection that comes your way.
These kits contain remedies in 30C potency.
This potency is usually strong enough to do the job.
But gentle enough not to cause needless aggravations.
Most ear infections can be treated effectively with a 30C potency remedy.
What Are The Best Homeopathic Remedies For Ear Infections?
Choosing the right remedy is crucial.
What you want to do is to look for what homeopaths call “Keynotes.”
Keynotes are special characteristics that lead you to the remedy.
Below you’ll find some of the most commonly used ear infection remedies along with their Keynotes.
- Chamomilla – Children who need this remedy will generally be fussy, miserable and very hard to please. They’re in a lot of pain and they’re angry. The pain causes restlessness. The child probably want to be picked up and may stop screaming if you carry them. This is a keynote of Chamomilla; better with being carried. Another keynote is one cheek will be red and hot. The other will be pale and cold. Chamomilla earaches tend to get worse at night.
- Pulsatilla – This is another big earache remedy. One way to distinguish between Pulsatilla and Chamomilla is to look at the child’s mood. My homeopathy teacher used to say you want to hug a Pulsatilla child. The Chamomilla child sets your nerves on edge. The Pulsatilla child will probably be tearful and clingy. They want you near them. Consolation makes them feel better. (There’s no consoling a Chamomile child.) Pulsatilla is known for changeable symptoms. So the pain may switch from ear to ear. Or it may be solely one sided. The pain will probably get better in cool open air. (Children who need Chamomilla are worse with wind in their ears.) Discomfort will worsen in a warm, stuffy room. The earache might have come on after overindulging in rich fatty foods, like ice cream. Pulsatilla ear pain is worse at twilight.
- Belladonna – The child who needs this remedy may suddenly develop an earache, along with a high fever. Their eyes may look glassy. Pupils may be dilated. The face may be very flushed. Or alternately red and pale. The ear may throb and it will probably be hot and look red. A keyote of this remedy is that the child cries out in his sleep. Jarring the body will increase the pain. The thing to remember with Belladonna is that there is heat. But it’s not evenly distributed. The head may feel warm but the feet are cold.
- Hepar Sulphuris – This remedy is often given when an ear infection moves beyond the inflammatory stage to the suppurative stage. It might have responded to Chamomilla if given early enough. But now it needs Hepar Sulphuris. The anger is intensified along with the infection. It’s irritability on steroids. Rocking and carrying the child may no longer soothe the pain. You may notice a discharge from the ear. It’s very likely the child won’t want you to touch his ear. Nor will he want to expose it to the wind.
- Mercurius – Like Hepar Sulph this remedy is generally given later in the course of an infection. Or it may be used for recurrent ear infections. Or it may be needed earlier in the illness, if the ear problem happened after swimming. You may notice the ear oozes a thick yellow or blood-streaked discharge. The pain is worse at night, when the patient is in bed. With suppurative ear infections you should be working with a homeopath and making plans to seek medical care if homeopathy can’t turn the case around quickly. One of the keynotes of Mecurius is having goosebumps. Another keynote is a foulness to the discharges. There are other forms of homeopathic Mercury that may be needed instead of Mercurius Vivus. A homeopath can help you.
- Lachesis – This is an often overlooked earache remedy. Lachesis symptoms tend to be worse on the left. The child may have a sore throat, in addition to the ear pain. Hard pressure on the ear relieves pain. Cold drinks may help the pain. Hot drinks make it worse. Lachesis symptoms tend to get worse after the child is in bed, and has slept a bit. Someone who needs Lachesis may have a purple discoloration in their throat and inside their cheek.
- Ferrum Phosphoricum – This remedy is also neglected for earaches. But I’ve seen it do amazing things for feverish, red-faced children with ear infections. One of the symptoms is lack of distinguishing symptoms. This is a remedy to consider if a case looks like Belladonna but it doesn’t work.
- Silica – This is another remedy you want in your natural medicine cabinet. There may be ear discharge. But it probably won’t be as painful as a Chamomilla or Hepar Sulph earache.
- Sulphur – Consider this if all other remedies fail. There may be an offensive-smelling discharge and the ear may be red.
I mentioned this before but I’ll say it again. It’s okay to call a homeopath if you need help.
Back when my children were little, before I became a homeopath, the way I avoided multiple rounds of antibiotics was to work closely with my homeopath.
Also, if you need reassurance the ear infection has cleared it’s okay to take your children to the pediatrician to get their ears checked, following homeopathic treatment.
Please feel free to join our Facebook Homeopathy Learning Q&A Group. Members can receive low-cost acute consultations.