It depends upon your goals.
If you just want to learn more you can pick up a lot of tips on Facebook.
There are many groups dedicated to this healing art.
If your children have frequent colds that morph into bacterial infections, requiring antibiotics, and you’d like to break this cycle, you need a homeopath.
If you have a chronic condition you also need professional care.
Some people argue otherwise.
That various protocols can address any misery the human condition throws at us.
Reading the Facebook groups you clearly see this isn’t true.
Otherwise we wouldn’t see so many desperate posts.
From people who’ve spent months taking high-potency remedies that haven’t helped.
But why not just treat a cough on your own?
You can if your first remedy choices work.
If not, it’s time to seek professional care.
At this point the worst thing you can do is to get remedy suggestions on Facebook.
Because you can lose the case entirely.
You run into the following scenario.
Many remedies were given.
Nothing is working.
Your child now has new and unusual symptoms.
These point to a smaller remedy.
One that’s not in your family remedy kit.
Perhaps a nosode will turn things around.
But good luck finding it.
The homeopath on call half a world away in India can’t help you get it.
At this point conventional medical care is probably your best option.
Do You Need Your Own Homeopath?
(This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything I receive a referral fee at no extra cost to you.)
Things might be different if you had your own local homeopath.
Someone who lives in your time zone.
Or at least isn’t on the other side of the world.
With children fevers often rise in the afternoon.
The best time to treat them is early.
This is unlikely if your homeopath sleeps when you’re awake.
A local homeopath, someone in your own country, can also help you obtain hard-to-find remedies.
This helps you build your own collection.
In order to become more independent. (After all, that’s the goal.)
Why You Need Your Own Homeopath
The best time to find a homeopath is when you’re healthy.
The worst time is when you’re sick.
And you’ve already taken half a dozen remedies that aren’t working.
If you already have a homeopath, you can reach out during that very first sniffle.
Hopefully, he or she will just tell you to take some Ferrum Phosphoricum, which can often stop a cold or flu, dead in its tracks.
(If you’re an existing client this will likely be a free call.)
If not, you can try a couple remedies on your own.
With the confidence someone has your back.
Nearly everyone functions better when they’re calm.
When a situation is under control.
We make mistakes when we’re worried, tense and fearful.
Our judgement is skewed.
We don’t do good remedy analysis.
We may panic and just give something.
We may change remedies too quickly.
Or give way too many doses of the right remedy. (A big reason so many cases are lost.)
Then desperation hits.
You scramble, looking for a solution.
Instead of picking up the phone and calling the person who knows you.
Who knows your children.
He or she knows that Belladonna never works for little Johnnie.
A stranger has no idea.
Your personal homeopath knows your sensitivity level.
So they start your prescription at 30C, instead of 200C.
They know you’ll be checking in.
So they stay away from cookie-cutter dosing.
They tell you to take one dose.
Don’t repeat until it’s needed.
A stranger from a foreign country may not hear from you again.
So you’re told to take Mercurius 200C every two hours.
Regardless of whether the last dose is still working.
When Do You Need A Homeopath?
Chronic conditions are much better treated professionally.
Because homeopathy is tricky.
Even well-trained professionals have difficult cases.
It might take awhile to see a breakthrough.
But you know what?
These cases are always on our mind.
Every practicing homeopath does continuing education.
We take courses and keep learning.
Because homeopathy is so involved. Also because it’s so interesting.
Eventually we’re going to come across a similar case.
Or hear new information that solves the puzzle.
Because we always have our clients in mind.
This won’t happen with strangers in a Facebook forum.
Can You Work Without A Homeopath?
Good homeopaths educate their clients.
They help them become more independent.
With a little coaching you can learn how to handle most simple acute problems at home.
Here are a few tips:
- Consider the Cause – What brought the problem on? Was it grief? Negative emotions? Eating rich food? Spending too much time in a dry cold wind? Try to find a remedy that fits the etiology, if possible.
- Match the Symptoms – You don’t need twenty symptoms. Just three or four of the most problematic ones.
- Modalities – This is what makes the person feel better or worse? If you’re deciding between two or three remedies match the modalities.
- Sensations – Is the pain hot and throbbing? Or is it a dull headache? Sensations are very important in remedy selection.
- Tongue – Don’t forget to look at the tongue. Because it’s color and consistency can help you find the right remedy.
- Minimum Dosing – Don’t overdo it with dosing. You can read more about Minimum Dosing here.
- Buy a Book – Considering buying a good basic book for home prescribers, such as The Complete Homeopathy Handbook by Miranda Castro.
- Invest In Professional Books – Every serious home prescriber needs a Repertory and a Materia Medica. I highly recommend those written by Dr. Robin Murphy, ND. These don’t have to be the latest edition. The older editions still work beautifully and won’t cost as much.