(This post contains affiliate links, and if you purchase a product I receive a commission, at no extra cost to you.)
I buy many of my supplements at Vitacost. This large online health food store with deeply discounted prices. This is where I also get a lot of my non perishable groceries, such as pure raw organic honey.
I’ve been a Vitacost shopper for years, after realizing I needed to overhaul my lifestyle. That’s because I suffer from a potentially debilitating nerve disease. If I can keep my inflammation under control, my symptoms go away.
Doing this requires that I eat mostly organic food. I also need to take herbal supplements that contain natural anti-inflammatory compounds.
Staying healthy would be costly, if I didn’t shop right. That’s why I really appreciate Vitacost. It carries just about everything I need, and then some. This supplement superstore has more than 45,000 wellness items, according to its website.
I think it’s very important to pass along healthy shopping tips. That’s because I assume my readers are trying to eat right and take care of themselves. Some of you may have chronic health problems, while others may be trying to prevent them. Because living healthy takes effort and resources, I can’t advocate an organic lifestyle without giving people the tools to put it into practice.
Health Food Stores Online Reviews
Vitacost also runs regular sales. Oftentimes, you can get 10 to 15 percent off of your order. Or, with Vitacost name brands, you can buy one and get half off the second item.
As you can probably tell, I’m pretty sold on Vitacost. But I recently discovered Pureformulas, and plan to do a lot more shopping there.
Competition is good for the consumer. So I wanted to compare Vitacost, founded in 1999, with its smaller competitor Pureformulas.
Even though I love shopping at Vitacost, I recently decided to place an order at Pureformulas, just for comparison.
Both Vitacost and Pureformulas are attempting to capture a rapidly growing market segment, as Americans spend an estimated $28 billion a year on herbal remedies and dietary supplements.
From a consumer’s standpoint, I can see where both companies have their advantages. In certain areas, one outdoes the other.
Vitacost vs Pureformulas
Here is my honest assessment of shopping at both Vitacost and Pureformulas. I am an affiliate of both companies, which means that I receive a small commission if you click through one of the links on this page and purchase something. The fact that I’m an affiliate, as well as a shopper, means that I can confidently recommend either company.
Here is how the two companies compare, at least by my experience.
- Shipping – If you visit either the Vitacost or Pureformulas website, the first difference you’ll probably notice is the shipping. All items at Pureformulas ship for free. Vitacost also has more than 1,000 popular items that ship for free. But for most of its stock, you need to spend $49 to get free shipping. However, if you buy a free ship item, such as organic coconut oil, your entire order will be shipped at no charge. Vitacost sells this healthy staple at an incredible price.
- Price – It seems as if Vitacost has slightly lower prices on many items, compared to Pureformulas. But not always. Also, in many cases the differences are negligible. However, the always free Pureformulas shipping is something to consider. Because there’s no minimum threshold for an order, you’re not tempted to buy more than you need. At Vitacost, I make sure my order totals at least $49 every time I shop. Pureformulas is probably the better choice if you just need one or two items, or if you forget something in your Vitacost order. Also, Pureformulas offers reward points, which can be applied to future orders.
- Selection – The clear winner in the selection category is Vitacost. It has a huge stock that never seems to become depleted. When I want something, I rarely find it isn’t available. Keeping things in stock seems to be the one weak link at Pureformulas. Many of the items I’ve wanted are not available. I called a member of the “Customer Happiness Team” to inquire about this issue. I was told it wasn’t a problem, and that new items arrive every two weeks. I’d have to disagree. Sometimes my favorite things are not in stock. I realize the free shipping makes Pureformulas a popular place to shop. I hope it finds a way to better keep up with the demand.
- Discounts and Rebates – Both Vitacost and Pureformulas offer rebates and discounts. At Pureformulas, I earned 250 bonus points just for opening an account. At the time of this writing, both companies offer 15 percent off an order. With Pureformulas, you need to give them your email address, in order to get this special coupon code. With Vitacost you don’t. Its discount code is posted on its website.
- Customer Service – I’ve only called customer support once for each company. I forget how long it took to reach a live person at Vitacost, but I don’t think it was very long. At Pureformulas it took about 10 minutes.
Organic Health Food Stores Online
With its huge selection of products, which never seem to be out of stock, Vitacost has that going for it. But I do like Pureformulas. Actually, I like it a lot. My package came right on time, and the order was perfect. My second order was just as flawless. I really think this company has incredible potential. I plan to place additional orders.
Organic Coconut Oil at Vitacost
Here is an example of the great deals I’ve come to enjoy at Vitacost. This is a 54-ounce tub of USDA-certified organic coconut oil. It has a delicious taste. It’s also good for cooking, since it has a high smoke point. This means it doesn’t create toxic compounds as you’re stir frying your foods. I use it when I cook Asian dishes.