These are what you see if a homeopathic remedy is working.
It’s your confirmation that you’ve chosen well.
You may not see the positive changes all at once.
But you’ll see a gradual shift toward wellness. Especially with chronic problems.
In acute conditions homeopathy can work really quickly. Practically as soon as the remedy hits your tongue.
You feel a little more energetic. Or a little more relaxed.
Or your pain eases and you know things are going to be okay.
Children, in particular, can recover very quickly.
Sometimes you’ll see a positive mental shift before physical improvements happen.
If someone’s mood perks up this is an excellent sign.
Better sleep is also something to note.
In fact, my homeopathy teacher used to say that improved sleep alone is enough to stay with a remedy, if you’re treating a longstanding problem.
Or if you see resolution of another key symptom don’t change remedies, unless it’s clear that it’s the wrong choice. (More about spotting the wrong remedy later.)
Reduced anxiety is another sign of health. This is true whether the problem is chronic or acute.
One of our “anxious” remedies is Arsenicum.
A characteristic of Arsenicum is restlessness and worry.
If you give Arsenicum to someone with a cold or the flu they might calm down. They may stop fretting about all the things they need to do and begin to relax, in order to get the rest they need.
They may still have their cough and congestion. But mentally they’re in a better place.
They’re not worried about dying. They’re not accusing you of not doing enough for them. They’re just relaxing, allowing the remedy to work.
Soon they’re feeling better physically too.
How Can You Tell If A Homeopathic Remedy Is Working?
Positive mental changes are often seen before physical ones. (But not always.)
Especially with long-standing issues or with skin conditions.
The right remedy will increase someone’s vitality.
Increased vitality is a vague concept. But you can easily spot it, once you know what to look for.
There’s a sparkle in the eye. Their complexion is brighter.
Hands feel a little warmer in someone with a history of not enough body heat. Even their hair looks healthier.
People responding to a remedy may have increased organizational skills. They complete projects they’ve long put off.
They have a greater sense of peace and well being.
Their appetite may increase if getting enough nourishment was a problem. Or, if they had pathological food cravings, those may diminish.
Good homeopathic remedies are balancing. They even out the excess, so the person functions better.
Once you’ve been using homeopathy for awhile you just know if a remedy is working.
If there’s any doubt then it probably isn’t.
Mothers, in particular, can tell if their children are improving or not.
As homeopaths we should always listen to the Moms.
Children tend to bounce back quickly in an acute illness, under the influence of the right remedy.
One minute they’re feverish and lying still in their mother’s arms.
The next they’re playing and asking for something to eat. It’s a beautiful thing to see.
How To Tell When A Homeopathic Remedy Is Working
When evaluating a remedy, important to differentiate between chronic and acute conditions, which come on comparatively quickly. Then they resolve.
You can expect quick results in acute situations. Chronic conditions can take years to heal.
With acutes start with a 30C remedy and match it well. Try to find at least three remedy characteristics.
For instance, Bryonia is a big flu remedy. It’s known for being very thirsty. The mucus membranes are often dry. The person may have stitching pain. He or she is worse with motion. Any sort of motion may increase discomfort.
If you see all of those “keynote” you probably have a Bryonia case.
In general, home prescribers should stick to the 30C potency for acutes. It’s strong enough to do the job. But gentle enough not to cause nasty aggravations.
My homeopathy teacher stressed that lower potencies are more forgiving. If you make a mistake it’s a smaller mistake.
Below are some tips on using homeopathy for acutes.
- Give one dose and see what happens. (If it’s a very intense problem more doses may be needed, and more frequently. But the person’s body lets you know.)
- If there’s significant improvement let the first dose ride. Don’t repeat the remedy unless the symptoms return. Good job matching the remedy.
- With partial improvement that starts to fade, consider another dose. If the remedy helped initially it may need to be repeated. You should see additional improvement.
- The person should be getting better. If there’s partial improvement but the case has now stalled consider just one more dose. If things don’t get better it’s likely the wrong remedy. So retake the case. If three doses don’t bring relief it’s unlikely the fourth dose will do the trick.
- Sometimes even with the right remedy the illness shifts. A new picture emerges. Choose a new remedy that fits the state. It’s not uncommon to need two or more remedies to finish the case.
- If the remedy you chose isn’t a good match don’t despair. Oftentimes it results in new symptoms, which leads you to the right remedy. Pay particular attention to what makes the person better or worse. These are called “modalities” and they’re very reliable.
- You’ve chosen the second remedy carefully. It’s a great match and the person starts to turn around, faster than you imagined. Congratulate yourself.
- Or, the second remedy doesn’t work. The case may be more complicated. You might need a lesser-known remedy. You also need another opinion. This is when you want to book a professional consultation. Especially if you don’t have a third remedy identified. Unless you have extensive homeopathic knowledge, contacting a homeopath is your best recourse. It’s also easier to treat a case earlier, rather than later. This is the best way to avoid needless antibiotics.
- If you feel medical help is needed don’t hesitate. Mothers should trust their instincts. If they think their child needs to be seen they should call their doctor. This isn’t a failure. It’s a learning experience.
How To Tell When A Homeopathic Remedy Is Not Working
If someone takes the wrong remedy there may be no reaction at all. At least for the first couple of doses.
After that you may see new symptoms. But no improvement in the person’s vitality.
Or, symptoms may just move around. The killer headache went away. But now the person has a terrible sore throat, along with chills, fever and a nagging cough. Overall they feel worse too.
When you see new symptoms think wrong remedy. Unless the person is much better and the new symptom is mild. (At this point, with significant improvement, hold off on more remedies.)
Continued doses of the wrong remedy can cause an uncomfortable reaction.
How To Tell If A Homeopathic Remedy Is Helping
Chronic conditions unfolded over time.
It might have taken decades of stress and trauma before a disease manifests itself.
So recovery will be much slower, compared to an acute.
Still, after about two weeks on a chronic remedy, there should be subtle signs it’s working.
There’s that concept of increased vitality again. Do you feel better? Worry less? Are you sleeping better? Is your chronic pain a little better? Has your digestion improved?
All of the above are indications the remedy is the right one and better health will follow.
Please feel free to join our Facebook Homeopathy Learning Help Group, where members can receive access to low-cost acute consultations.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended as medical advice, just for reading and education. If you have health concerns reach out to a medical professional.