During his lifetime, he developed a new system of medicine known as homeopathy.
It’s based upon the principle of “like cures like.”
This means that a substance that causes symptoms full strength will cure those same symptoms in minute doses.
Homeopathy is now used throughout the world.
It’s very popular in India, where a large percentage of the population uses it.
Homeopathy was once very popular in the United States too.
At one time there were homeopathic hospitals, where doctors visited patients and dispensed remedies.
Homeopathy is now making a comeback in the West.
More and more people are discovering that it’s safe and effective.
They are getting behind it, buying books and remedy kits.
I’ve never seen this level of enthusiasm since I started using homeopathy a couple of decades ago.
It’s a wonderful thing to see.
However, there are also misconceptions.
It’s our job as homeopaths to educate.
So everybody has realistic expectations.
One of the myths about homeopathy is that it’s a magic cure all.
It’s true that homeopathy is amazing.
Once you realize it’s healing potential you are hooked.
You want to use homeopathy to treat everything.
Plus you want to tell everyone you know about this amazing discovery.
But there’s one thing homeopathy can’t do.
It can’t compensate for an unhealthy lifestyle.
For instance, the basic laws of nutrition still apply.
Remedies can’t make up for a poor diet.
If you don’t eat right you can hamper or destroy the cure.
Obstacles To The Cure In Homeopathy
It’s long been recognized that various influences can make or break a case.
Even with the right remedy and the best prescribing.
In fact, Hahnemann wrote about this in The Organon of the Healing Art.
This is the book that describes homeopathic practice and principles.
As you can see from the paragraph below, the idea that obstacles to the cure exist and must be removed is not a novel concept.
Nor is it one we should ignore.
Because in the words of Hahnemann, “But should we find, during the employment of the other medicines in chronic (psoric) diseases, that the best selected homoeopathic (antipsoric) medicine in the suitable (minutest) dose does not effect an improvement, this is a sure sign that the cause that keeps up the disease still persists, and that there is some circumstances in the mode of life of the patient or in the situation in which he is placed, that must be removed in order that a permanent cure may ensue.”
That’s why a good homeopath will help people identify and remove anything blocking their progress.
If we didn’t do this we wouldn’t be doing our jobs.
We’d be negligent.
Remedy suggestions are only part of the reason why it’s important to work with a homeopath, especially when you have a chronic condition.
Because something is causing you to be sick.
Whatever it is, you want to change it, as much as possible.
Otherwise you won’t get the maximum benefits from homeopathy.
What Are Obstacles To The Cure In Homeopathy?
Below are a few factors that can have a negative impact on your general health. This is by no means an exhaustive list. But it can give you some ideas.
- Poor Diet – I don’t know of any remedy that can compensate for a poor diet. It is true that cell salts may help you absorb nutrients better. But you still need to put the good stuff into your body. Although there’s probably no single diet that’s right for everyone, it’s safe to say that everyone should eat real food instead of processed food. An occasional cheat probably won’t hurt you. But a steady diet of junk will take a toll.
- Offending Foods – Some people can’t tolerate certain foods. They may not have an anaphylactic reaction. But they don’t feel well after eating them. It makes sense to limit or eliminate what triggers you. The beauty of homeopathy is that it heals from the inside out. So you may be able to tolerate these foods better with treatment.
- Unmitigated Stress – Sometimes we can’t change our circumstances. But if we have the choice to reduce stress we should take it. Homeopathic remedies can help take the edge off. They’ve even been credited with helping you take the first positive steps toward change.
- Lack of Forgiveness – Homeopathy can help change our outlook. But we still have to will ourselves to forgive. Especially if we can’t get an apology. However, it’s possible to forgive even without cooperation. Remind yourself that forgiveness is for you, so you can heal. The person who hurt you doesn’t care if you stay angry. In fact, he or she probably prefers you do.
- Lack of Sunshine – Nowadays we see a lot of people with “photophobia.” This means they’re sensitive to the sun. They often won’t leave the house without dark sunglasses. Yet they still need the sun’s healing power. Even if they only get sunshine a couple minutes a day to start.
- EMF Radiation – We’re all surrounded by invisible electronic frequencies that could be hampering a cure. One of my homeopathic mentors recommends turning off our wireless router at night.
- Environmental Toxins – It goes without saying that environmental toxins are bad. But organic food if you can. The idea is to reduce your pesticide load, as well as your exposure to an herbicide called glyphosate, widespread in the environment. You should also use plant-based detergents and air fresheners. Because household cleaning products are another source of toxins. But what to do about a lifetime accumulation? There are new and fancy detox protocols. I usually prefer to start the person on their general indicated remedy, which, if well matched, is likely to bring about great improvement. If the poisoning is recent then we can look at various “detox” remedies. (Tautopathy is a branch of homeopathy that involves giving doses of the offending toxin in potency.) Tautopathy is also something to consider if well-indicated remedies fail and you have a clear etiology of the case.
As homeopaths it’s our job to educate the public.
Good results don’t just happen.
They require work, dedication and commitment.