What natural remedies do I take to keep sore throats and sniffles away?
You might be surprised what I do and don’t do.
Some of it might even be controversial.
But I’ll tell you what’s been working for me.
Everything you read here is for informational purposes only.
Because I’m not a doctor.
So I can’t give medical advice.
However, I do know a thing or two about staying healthy when nasty bugs are flying around.
I’ve spent the last 25 years learning about homeopathic remedies.
What remedy to take when you’re first getting sick?
Which remedies to take if the illness settles in?
What various herbal remedies and supplements can help?
Since I’m not a doctor I can’t advice. Or say what will work for you.
However, I can tell you what I do.
Below you can read about what I do and what I take to avoid getting the flu.
Over and over again. Throughout the winter.
Some may argue a healthy immune system protects against germs.
But what I’m seeing is people worn down from constant infections.
As soon as they recover from one they’re hit with another.
I don’t think this is a healthy way to live.
Lately the bugs also seem to be getting stronger.
So there’s nothing wrong with trying to avoid them.
You’re not “living in fear” by deciding to skip back-to-back bugs.
Especially since we’re dealing with new pathogens.
So please keep reading.
Staying Healthy During Flu Season
(This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything I receive a referral fee at no extra cost to you.)
- Stay Away From Sick People. This isn’t always possible. But why invite a newer pathogen into your house? Why not wait until everyone is well, before gathering indoors? Lately, the only time I’ve been sick is when I ignored this advice. Is the extended family dinner worth a week or two (or more) of misery? (Maybe, if it’s Thanksgiving, Christmas.) Can the play date wait a week, until no one has a barking cough? Of course, all of this has to be balanced with getting back to normal, which everyone needs to do. However, maybe for awhile it’s going to be a new normal. One that involves staying home when you’re sick. So you don’t make other people sick. It’s also okay to ask if everyone is healthy before you gather.
- Homeopathic Remedies After Exposure. You show up at that family gathering. Everyone is coughing. What do you take when you get home? If it were me I’d take a cell salt called Calc Phos 6x. This is available on Amazon. It’s also sold at health food stores. Other possibilities include various nosodes and a remedy called Oscillococcinum, a popular flu prevention remedy. For prevention I’d take only one dose of Oscillococcinum. You can read more about this remedy here. Influenzinum can also be used to hopefully prevent illness from developing if you’ve been exposed to a virus.
- Supplements After Exposure. In addition to the Calc Phos 6x or (one of the other remedies mentioned above,) I would also take a nutritional supplement called NAC (N-acetyl-L-cystine), along with Wormwood tincture and Liposomal Vitamin C. Lipospheric Vitamin C is an amazing product that seems to kickstart the immune system. I wouldn’t want to ride out flu season without it. (Please check with your doctor before taking supplements to avoid possible interactions.)
- Getting A Sore Throat. Oh no, here comes the sore throat. But no worries. One dose of Ferrum Phos usually takes care of it. If not then a well-selected homeopathic remedy will. Plus, if I’m sick I take Quercetin, zinc, Vitamin C and D. I don’t take these supplements every day. Because I want them to work when I need them.
- Eating Real Food. There’s probably no one diet that’s right for everyone. But it’s safe to say that real food is infinitely better than processed food. Eat organic whenever possible. If you can’t afford organic food then do your best to remove chemicals and pesticides. Here’s some information on how to clean your produce with baking soda.
- Stress Reduction. Stress does a number on your immune system, if you let it. During a time in my life when anxiety was at its peak I tried a little-known energy treatment called EFT Tapping. The results were instant, as well as long lasting.
- Getting Enough Sleep. Your body suffers if you don’t get enough sleep. Try to go to bed every night at the same time and observe good sleep hygiene. If insomnia is ruining your life consider working with a homeopath to heal this problem.
- Getting Adequate Sunshine. Granted this isn’t always easy during winter if you live in a cold climate. Yet we still need adequate Vitamin D for a health immune system. Talk to your medical provider about taking supplemental Vitamin D if you don’t spend enough time in the sun.
- What About A Mask? Guess what? I don’t think face masks are evil. Or an evil plot. (Even though evil plots exist.) Face masks were used during the Spanish flu epidemic, which ended. (This one drags on.) Actually I think it’s reasonable to wear a high-quality, well-fitting KN95 or better mask at the grocery store. Or when you’re indoors, in crowded settings. I say this from the perspective of a homeopathic consultant who has helped people work through that nasty bug that’s still going around now, and some of them were quite sick. But do your own research. There are also concerns about microfibers from the face masks being deposited in the lungs.