Homeopathy can help with the flu.
The trick is finding the right remedy.
Then you need to take it in the right potency, in a frequency that resonates with your body.
Choosing the right remedy is not as easy as it sounds.
Because there’s a lot of overlap among the remedies.
So you often have to look at the little things to differentiate.
For instance, whether someone is thirsty or not is very important.
Do they want hot or cold drinks? Do they take little sips? Or do they gulp down that glass of water?
These little details can lead you to pick one remedy over another.
You need to consider the time of day the person feels worse. This can also lead you in the right direction.
Also, is the person anxious and restless? Unable to get comfortable in bed?;
Is the cough wet or dry?
What is the color and consistency of the mucus running out of their nose?
The color of their tongue?
All of this should be considered as you research remedies.
Don’t choose based upon just one symptom.
Instead, look for a constellation of keynotes (three or more) before making your choice.
Make sure to consider the “modalities.” These are what makes the person better or worse.
It’s important to match modalities if you want to avoid giving the wrong remedy.
Top Homeopathic Remedies For The Flu
With home prescribing I’m a big fan of the 30C potency. It’s strong enough to fix the problem.
But gentle enough so that it doesn’t cause aggravations as long as you don’t overdo it, by giving too many doses.
With acute conditions, give one dose and see what happens.
If there’s significant improvement don’t repeat the remedy unless the person starts to feel unwell again. Let the person’s body tell you when the next dose is needed.
More intense situations may call for more doses.
Below is a partial list of common flu remedies.
- FERRUM PHOSPHORICUM – This is my very favorite flu remedy. Because I take it as soon as I think I’m getting sick. Then I generally don’t get sick. This is one remedy that should be in every medicine cabinet, especially with the new bugs going around. One of the biggest symptoms of Ferrum Phos is lack of symptoms. You may have a somewhat scratchy throat, but no real pain. Your nose may feel a little stuffy, but it’s not really running. Instead, you just feel off, like you’re coming down with something. The time to take this is at the very start of an illness. Later, you probably need a different remedy.
- ACONITE – A lot of people recommend this at the first sign of flu. But Ferrum Phos can work even better. Aconite might be a good choice if symptoms fit. The illness might appear suddenly, after exposure to cold, dry winds. Or it might have been caused by emotional shock. The person may be restless and fearful. He or she may feel worse around midnight. Sometimes it’s hard to differentiate between this remedy and Arsenicum, also a restless remedy, with complaints that generally peak between midnight and 2 am. The person who needs Aconite is better outdoors, just like Arsenicum. If you can’t decide try Aconite first. Unless the person has nausea and vomiting; then consider Arsenicum.
- ARSENICUM – The person is restless and anxious. Or is too weak to move around. This is the first remedy to think of for stomach flu. Arsenicum is known for burning pains. They may feel burning in their throat. Or diarrhea that burns. People in this state may be very thirsty. Yet only for small sips. If someone is not lying flat on their back they may be up and around, trying to get things done. This typically happens during an Arsenicum respiratory flu without the GI distress. The person may also have chest tightness and be extremely worried about their health.
- BRYONIA – This can be a slow onset flu that gains momentum over a few days. People who need Bryonia are probably achy. Unlike Arsenicum, they just want to lie still. Because movement bothers them. Even opening and closing their eyes can hurt. Someone in a Bryonia state is cranky. They don’t like questions. They want to be left alone. Unless you bring them a glass of water, which they gulp. This is a very thirsty remedy. Their body is dry and so is their cough. Symptoms may be worse at 9 pm and between 3-4 am. This is a major flu remedy. It looks a lot like Gelsemium, except for the thirst. Bryonia patients are very chilly.
- GELSEMIUM – This is the top flu remedy. It’s excellent for nondescript flu. Gelsemium also has distinct symptoms too. There’s a certain look to a Gelsemium patient. Eyelids are heavy and the face droops. They feel extremely tired. You’ll typically find them in bed huddled under the blankets. The person’s mind is also dull, and they may feel dizzy when they move to get up off a chair. Unlike Bryonia they are thirstless.
- EUPATORIUM – This is a major flu remedy. It’s probably not used enough because people don’t think of it. It looks like a mix of other common flu remedies. Consider it for bone pains so intense the bones feel broken. The person may also feel sore and achy, like an Arnica flu. (Arnica is also a flu remedy.) The pain is worse than a Gelsemium flu and the person is thirsty (Gelsemium is thirstless). They want cold drinks like Phosphorus. They can be very restless, like someone who needs Arsenicum. The most outstanding feature of this remedy is the bone pains, especially in the arms and wrists. They may have a headache in back of their head when they lie down. Their eyeballs may hurt. Also, they might have a sore chest, similar to Bryonia.
- NUX VOMICA – This remedy can look like Arsenicum. Chilliness is a big feature, along with nausea and vomiting. This is one of the chilliest remedies in the Materia Medica. The person likes to be covered. He or she feels worse if the covers are off. They can have intense shivers. One thing to distinguish it from Arsenicum is that patients are thirsty only when they’re cold. If they’re hot with a fever they’re thirstless. (Arsenicum is generally thirsty; but only for small sips of water at a time.) People who need this remedy might have a more intense headache than those who need Arsenicum. They are also extremely irritable, more than the typical Arsenicum patient, who tends to be demanding. (Given the choice, I’d much rather care for an Arsenicum person.) Nux Vomica is known for its annoyance to lights and noise. The person will be in bed, yelling at you to keep the noise down. Nux Vomica patients are also hypersensitive to light and smells.
- BAPTISIA – This remedy is also under utilized. Because it mimics other remedies. You may have the perfect Gelsemium case. Or so you thought. But Gelsemium doesn’t work. Or it could have worked beautifully and then stopped. If you ever see this read up on Baptisia. Unlike Gelsemium the person is very thirsty. Baptisia can look like Arsenicum and Rhus Tox with restlessness. It can look like Arsenicum and Nux with vomiting. The lungs feels tight and oppressed, similar to Arsenicum and Phosphorus. In general the person is very sick. Baptisia is one of our sudden onset remedies. Sickness can come on hard and fast. The person is feverish and delirious. He or she may think their body parts are scattered about the bed. With a flu, make sure to check the tongue. Baptisia tongues are often coated yellowish brown, with a brown streak down the middle. The edges of the tongue may be red. The person may be dizzy and confused. Baptisia patients crave fresh air.
- OSCILLOCOCCINUM – This remedy is best taken for prevention or at the very outset of the flu, similar to Ferrum Phos. You could consider it instead of Ferrum Phos when you feel a cold or flu coming on. Oscillococcinum is noted for its bursting headaches, sudden onset and muscle aches. You can read more about it here.
This is just a PARTIAL list of remedies to support your body during the flu. All of this is for information only and is not intended as medical advice. Don’t hesitate seeking medical care if you think you need it.
I strongly advise doing more research on a remedy (beyond what’s listed above) before taking it. If you don’t own a Materia Medica you can access one for free online.
I love the idea of Moms learning all they can about homeopathy. But it’s a steep learning curve.
Back when I was learning I’d try for the best match. If my children responded I was thrilled. But if the first two remedies I gave didn’t help I called my homeopath.
Working with a professional is even more important today, compared to when my kids were little. Because the new viruses come with a lot of different and unusual manifestations.
The last thing you want to do is to keep giving the wrong remedies, which can create new symptoms.
Remember, one well-matched remedy can turn the picture around, rapidly and drastically.